Vilano Shadow 2.0 Road Bike is a good choice especially if you are on a tight budget. Despite it being low priced, the bike performs excellently, and it is also durable. I especially like the precise and controllable braking, and for me, it is the best in the most affordable bikes category. Whether you are a pro or a newbie when it comes to road bikes, you will find this one great if you are looking for a cheaper but still good quality option.
The Vilano Shadow 2.0 Road Bike is designed for use by both pros and beginners, and it can be used for commuting, exercise & fitness, as well as long-distance biking. It serves all the four purposes perfectly because it has a precise and controlled shifting and braking system as it has the Shimano STI integrated shifter.
What I love about the Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike
- Easy to put together: I don’t consider myself hardy, but I found it super easy to put this bike together right out of the box. However, I have learned to always take any bike to a bike shop for a tune-up before taking it out for a ride, to have it inspected and adjusted accordingly. Again, the instructions state that you pump the tires up to 110, so do this to avoid flat tires. For those new to road bikes, a bike pump with a gauge comes in handy and getting one in advance will make things easy. It’s a great bike for road bike beginners, and it’s perfect for commuting.You will also need to have a wrench to help you with the setup. All parts are included in the package, and even if you have not set up a bike before, you will have an easy time as it is clear where each part should go.
- Ultra-lightweight: The one thing I love most about this road bike is that it is ultra-lightweight. The bike features a steel aluminum frame thus making it lightweight and easy to handle. This actually works best for me because I like riding up hills and weight can really limit you if it’s too much. Again, lifting it up to the rack of my car is super easy, and this will be favorable for most people as well. However, being lightweight doesn’t mean compromise on quality as I find each part of the bike very sturdy and it actually gives me the confidence to go on rough terrains.
- Smooth ride and decent speed: Nothing feels better than getting a confident and smooth ride from your bike, and Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike does it for me each time. Again, with an average speed of 17MPH roughly, I find it decent enough for my needs.
- Dependable bike components: What really matters on any road bike is how dependable its components are. They don’t have to be the best out there, but they definitely have to be dependable, and this is the case with this bike. It has great breaks especially on precision thanks to the integrated Shimano STI integrated brake lever. It offers great controllable braking thus giving you confident even if you’re just starting with road bikes. If you are looking for solid performance on a road bike without breaking a bank, this bike will be a great fit.
- Many Useful Functions: The Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike can be used for other purposes other than road riding. It’s very dependable to transport, and it handles various terrains perfectly. Again, if you love keeping fit, then this bike will be a great companion. It makes a great choice for both athletes and health fanatics because it has all the needed features.It is low/fairly affordable which might take many aback because we like to think that price correlates with quality. However, as I mentioned above, the bike has a high standard quality that actually surpassed my expectations. If you are needing a regular all-rounder road bike that can also be used for exercising, commuting, athletic pursuits and explorations, then this is a perfect choice.
- A well-thought design: The road bike features an internal cable routing that helps aid the aerodynamics plus the cockpit maneuverability. It also has drop handles that help in maintaining speed and control when on the road. This means more confidence and you get to explore and perfect your bike riding skills. It also has an adjustable seat post that makes it ideal for any body types. Lastly, I like that it’s a low-cost road bike yet has all the parts found in most expensive bikes.
What I don’t like about the Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike
- Road vibrations: I know this is common even with most best of bikes out there, but I have to mention it. The vibrations are especially noticeable when I am riding on rough terrain. To reduce the vibration effect, I have invested in a well-padded pair of cycling gloves so you might want to order them together. However, when riding on a smooth surface, I haven’t noticed any vibrations.
- Tire quality: I have also seen many complaints about the tires where most users say that they got a flat tire during their first ride. It seems to be a consistent complaint, but even though the tire quality might be wanting, it is important to pump them as recommended by the manufacturer.
- The seat: This might not be a bother to some people, but the seat might feel a little under-padded thus creating a little discomfort especially when riding for a long time. If you are not sure about the kind of a seat you would like for your bike, you can buy this bike then have the seat replaced later if it won’t work for you. This is what I did, and I am now loving the long rides.
- Affordable, durable, and excellent performance: Apart from the few areas that need improvement, there is nothing major to dislike about this bike. It has many extensive uses, and it’s a great choice if you want to try out various athletic advances. Also, the bike performs excellently for both beginners and pros, and it will last a long time.Again, the bike is very affordable. It is actually one of the most affordable yet high-quality on the market. And, despite the low price, it features all the important perks for perfect performance and reliability.
- Speed : Being a beginners’ bike, the Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike comes with 14-speed and, you can easily upgrade it once you are experienced enough. It is also very reliable despite it having a different design as compared to most bikes whose focus is on aerodynamics integration in their designs. It is designed to serve as a regular commuter road bike as well as for exploring.
- Exercise and fitness: Another way of exercising and keeping fit, apart from the usual exercises in the gym is bike riding. It is actually one of the most preferred forms of exercise by people who are looking for an easy and fun way to keep fit. It is also very rewarding, and it can easily become your new hobby. Bike riding is not overbearing because you get to enjoy the surrounding sceneries thus no boredom and you also get a chance to explore various places while still burning the calories. This road bike by Vilano will be of great use in this sector especially if you find it hard to follow exercise routines.
- For Sprint Triathlons Races & Training: The Vilano Shadow bike is designed for easy maneuverability. The wheels sit perfectly on the road thus allowing you maneuver effortlessly. To stay on top of your game, you can invest in this bike and use it for training as well as races.
- Sizes, color, and weight: The bike is available in sizes Small (50cm), Medium (54cm) and Large (58cm). It can also be used by men and women, and it comes in white and black. It features the Shimano technology thus making it a great choice for anyone looking forward to some serious riding. It’s not a pro bike, but it performs perfectly as an entry road bike. If you are on a budget or you simply are not ready to spend so much on a road bike, give this a try because there is a high chance that you will like it a lot. The bike weighs roughly 23 pounds thus taking it to the ultra-lightweight category.
- Shimano STI Integrated brake levers: The ease of breaking is important for each bike rider whether beginner or a pro. As such, this bike features the Shimano STI brake levers to offer a precise and easily controllable breaking. This means that you can ride your bike on any terrain with ease because some surfaces might require you to have better control of your bike to avoid accidents. This design gives the bike a compact drivetrain, and this translates to better performance abilities.
- Vibrations reducing design: The one thing that might interfere with your riding is vibrations, and they tend to get worse on rougher terrains. To avoid this, you can invest in a road bike that’s designed to reduce the vibrations. The Vilano Shadow road bike features some enhanced features for this purpose, to ensure that you enjoy your riding and also for the durability of its essential parts.However, the vibrations are still noticeable hence why you should invest in a well-padded pair of riding gloves, but the design reduces the effects significantly. In general, this bike is well-designed, and for the price, it is definitely worth investing in. It has large wheels meaning bumpy roads will become more bearable and overall you get to enjoy a more comfortable ride.
Pros of Vilano Shadow 2.0 Road Bike
- Great for athletic use
- Features a sturdy frame for durability as well as holding your weight perfectly
- It’s a multi-purpose road bike. The design allows you to use your bike for various purposes as mentioned in the article.
- It is a very affordable yet high-quality road bike
- Has a great set of wheels for easy maneuverability
- Very easy to assemble. It takes you less than 20 minutes to set it up
- Ultra-lightweight construction
- Integrated Shimano STI shifters
Cons of Vilano Shadow 2.0 Road Bike
- Under-padded seat: This is a major complaint because the seat that the bike comes with is so hard thus not ideal for most bike riders. However, getting a replacement seat is easy and affordable, but it is inconveniencing.
- Cheap pedals: This is another thing that you might not like about the Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike. The pedals are not of high-quality and don’t seem like they will hold up for a long time. However, just as the seat, they are easy and affordable to replace so if you like everything else about the bike they should not be a reason not to purchase it.
This is an entry level road bike, and as such, it’s great for beginners. However, it also performs excellently for pros. It is used by most athletes during races and training because of its design. Again, it is a great choice if you need a good bike for commuting and exercising and it’s also reliable for triathlon practices. Basically, if you are in need of a great bike that’s also very affordable, this is the bike for you.
You might be a pro in matters road bikes, but you should consider taking your bike to a local bike shop once you are done setting it up for inspection and tune because you never know what you are missing. It is here that your bike’s seat, brakes, and angle will be adjusted to ensure that once you hit the road, you’ll be safe and in total control. Again, be sure to check how comfortable the seat feels before going on a long ride.
Overall, the Vilano Shadow 2.0 road bike is well made and serves its purposes perfectly. However, there is still room for improvement, but you can easily make any adjustments and replacements of any parts to have what you consider to be a comfortable road bike. It is a great choice to go with especially when on a tight budget, and it will serve you for a long time. Click here to check out this bike.