Choosing a mountain bike is not an easy task whether you are a pro or a newbie in the mountain biking world. The market is flooded with so many different brands. Talk about being spoilt for choice. However, it is important to note that not every bike out there is the best for your needs and budget. In most cases, if you settle for affordability you have to forgo the quality and vice versa. Fortunately, with Schwinn bikes you can have your cake and eat it too, especially with their Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike.
This dual suspension masterpiece boasts of an aluminum frame that makes the bike light and strong at the same time. The bike also comes with a front suspension and a rear triangle which helps the bike tackle any terrain with comfort. With a light frame plus the dual suspension feature, you can speed on road without compromising on comfort. The impressive mechanical disc brakes make it easy to stop whenever you need to.You can count on total control of the bike even at high speeds.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike is fitted with a 24 speed gearing system. If you like speed while biking,then this is the machine for you. Coupled with Shimano shifters, the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 changes gears smoothly. The 26” wheels are durable and great on the ground. It constitutes of double walled alloy rims and quality tires known to enhance traction and maneuverability. Another reason to be assured of more control.
These are just some of the features that the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 has to offer. There is much more and the scope of this review is to give you all the details comprehensively. Read on and experience the bike in the next sentences and paragraphs so that you can make that all important choice. This article will look at this bike in the following sections: the features and specs of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike ; the benefits and advantages of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike; the pros of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike; the cons of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike; the missing links of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike and; the final take on Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike.
Features and specs of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike
As said before there are a lot more features in the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike. They are incorporated into the bike in a way that enhances not only the performance of the bike, but the overall comfort of the user. One of the aspect of a product that most a purchaser obsesses over are the features. The next section of this review will identify and describe the bike’s most prominent features.
- It is fitted with an aluminum frame with SR Suntour front suspension for strength, comfort and great maneuverability.
- It also comes with Shimano Altus 24 gear system that can tackle any terrain with ease
- The bike uses Shimano EF-50 trigger shifter that smoothly changes the gears
- This bike also features a rear Shimano Altus derailleur as well
- The brakes are quality Pro Max front disk brakes with rear linear pull brakes for great stoppage power.
- The wheels of Schwinn Protocol 1.0 comprise of high quality 26” tires and doubled walled rims with bladed spokes. It also features a quick release wheels for easy adjustments.
- It weighs an approximate of 43lbs and can carry up to 300lbs. Users of between 5’4” and 6’2” can comfortably ride on this bike.
- It also features a bolt head stem MTB handlebars
- The dimension is 48*8*27 inches
Apart from the features Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike comes with a number of benefits for the cyclist. Schwinn went out of their way to deliver a product that has quality feature that dispense a lot of benefits. Clearly they had the avid cyclist as well as the novice in mind. The next section of the review will list down some of the benefits that make this bike such a great option.
- It is affordable: One of the benefits of settling for Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is the price. This bike comes at an affordable price. With the quality it comes with you would expect the price to be much higher.
- Smooth ride: Another benefit is the smooth ride that comes about with the dual suspension feature coupled with the 24 speed gear system. This bike works great on a variety of terrain. The dual suspension ensures that the shocks are adequately absorbed wherever you take the bike
- Safety: The bike comes with a strong frame, stable breaking and easy gear shifting. A ride is assured of enough control and sturdiness. Control means safety is in your hands.
- Durability: Another benefit of the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike is the durability that is brought about by the aluminum frame and quality parts. Thanks to brand names like Shimano and Schwinn you can trust that it is a bike which lasts.
- Suites even taller built: Taller people always have an issue when finding the right mountain bike. Fortunately, Schwinn Protocol 1.0 can accommodate them. The dimension of the bike especial the 18” bike. It can also accommodate users up to 300lbs.
- Easy to carry: Another advantage of the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike is the light nature. The aluminum frame makes it light enough to carry around or up the stairs.
- Great for different terrains: The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike comes with dual suspension. With the shock absorption power, you can tackle any terrain without too much effort or discomfort.
- Appealing: Apart from the functionality, a cyclist can benefit from the sleek design. The bike looks good no matter where you are planning to take it.
- It can be easily assembled: Some of the parts of the bike come pre-assembled. Some minor twerks and adjustments and the assembly process will be done.
- It is multipurpose: It does not matter what you chose to do with Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike, it will serve you. It could be a workout tool, a commuter tool or for a mountain biking.
- Comfortable: This is a comfortable bike thanks to the ergonomic design and the adjustable seats and pedals. Cycling for long on this bike doesn’t cause as much discomfort as other mountain bikes of the same price range.
- Competitive warranty: If you buy this bike, you benefit from a lifetime warranty for the frame and one-year warranty for all the components from Schwinn except the cables and tires.
- Great for beginners: The dual suspension feature makes this a good option for those who are new in the mountain biking option.
Pros of the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Mountain Bike also features a number of pros and advantages. One of the reasons why Schwinn keeps making head way can be attributed to the pros that the bikes they produce have. This next part of this article looks at the advantages cyclist can pick.
- Powerful brakes: The first pro is the quality and responsive brakes that stop the bike whenever you need to. Your safety is assured because the control of the bike is within your grasp.
- It is a light option: The aluminum frame makes this bike a lighter option that can be easily maneuvered and carried around.
- Impressive gear system: The gear system on Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is not only easy to use, but smoothly changes from one gear to another without disruption to the momentum as you cycle.
- Adjustability: The wheels have a quick release feature that makes the bike easy to make adjustments to. The seat post and pedal can be adjusted as well.
- Strong frame: The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 strong aluminum frame makes it durable and much more stable than other bikes in the market.
- Great wheels: Schwinn Protocol 1.0 come with standard 26” wheels with high quality rims and tires. They offer great traction and ground cover.
- Dual suspension: The dual suspension feature adds to the comfort of the bike. The front fork suspension and the rear triangle absorb most of the shocks especially on rough terrain.
- Easy assembly: It takes less than 30 minutes to put the bike together since most of the parts have been pre-assembled.
So far we have looked at the positives. Unfortunately, this is where we look at the ugly part. Just as it is the norm, most products are plagued with drawbacks. After all, they are man-made. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is no different. Though it is not exactly plagued with flaws, it sure comes with its fair share. What any buyer need to have in mind that by discussing the cons of this bike or any other product it does not mean that the product is useless. It is a way of giving you a deeper insight into the product you are considering or about to purchase. Call it being objective. This section of the review looks at some of the flaws that come with Schwinn Protocol 1.0
- Though Schwinn Protocol 1.0 comes pre-assembled some adjustments will be required for the best performance. You may have to part with some extra cash to take the bike to a professional or a bike shop.
- It lacks a water bottle holder. You can buy a water holder from the nearest bike shop, but that means extra money as well.
- Schwinn Protocol 1.0 has no reflectors or lighting. If you are out at night you will have to make arrangements for your safety, because this bike will not provide in that area.
- On a muddy day and rainy day prepare for some splash. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 does not come with fenders or mudguards.
- It is heavier than some other bikes. Due to the dual suspension feature, the bike is much heavier than it should be. A necessary evil though.
- More peddling motion to make up for the full suspension effect and it’s going to require more maintenance than the Hardtail version.
- There is no kick stand with this bike so if you want one,a visit to a local bike shop is in order.
- This bike was specifically designed for men. Women, especially those shorter than 5’4” will have a tough time enjoying the ride.
Missing links to the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 mountain bike
Though Schwinn Protocol 1.0 has some impressive strengths, it has not been spared from some flaws as well. As stated before the mentioning of these flaws is not in any way to suggest that this bike should be thrown out. In fact, missing links point to those drawbacks that can be easily fixed from home or cheaply at the nearest bike shop. The aim of listing these missing links is so that you can get the solution to improve the performance of this bike.
- Like most bikes on its price tag, the saddle is very hard. Spending too much time on the bike will lead to numbness and discomfort. To remedy this situation, you can buy a better saddle from the bike shop or simply place cushions on the seat before taking it out.
- The break makes some noise. This is usually because the tuning wasn’t done correctly. Check the user manual for the calibration instructions and if you are not sure what to do you can call in a professional.
Final thoughts on Schwinn Protocol 1.0 mountain Bike
Schwinn is known to produce quality bikes and at affordable prices. The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is testimony of that. This is a tool that surpasses the notion that you cannot quality at an affordable price. For a newbie looking for an exciting mountain bike experience without breaking the bank then Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is the choice. You can be sure of a comfortable and smooth ride that can handle greater speeds. With a lifetime frame warranty, enjoy an adventure filled expedition with a bike you can count on. Click here to check out this bike.