Fat tire bikes have been in existence for some time now, with its original purpose being to serve those living in cold snowy places. Over the years that bulky machine has grown to earn its place in the cycling world. There was a time that fat bikes where seen as awkward and out of place but now they are a thing of beauty as they conquer the off road arena. With its large tires, you can be sure to conquer most of the terrains you encounter, be it the beach or snow covered ground.
With the demand for fat bikes being on the rise, manufacturers are working double time to come up with new designs that ensure performance as well as deliver the same at an affordable price. Mongoose is a brand that has been on the market for some time now and can be trusted to deliver when it comes to quality and design. One of their recent bikes is the Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle. This is a one of a kind bike that comes at a very attractive price.
Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle had impressively large tires that can easily take on the different types of off road terrains. It comes with 7-speeds that can handle hilly terrains and the gear change is awesome and smooth. This bike is designed with a structure that allows a comfortable posture as well as a firm grip on the handle bars.
There is a lot to discover about this bike. As they say experience is a great teacher but what’s even better learning from someone who has had the experience. That is the purpose of this review; to give you an incisive overview of what to expect from the Hitch. To start off we are going to look at: the specifications and features of Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle; the benefits of Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle; the pros and advantages of Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle; the cons of Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle ; the missing links to Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle ; and the final thoughts to Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle .
Features and Specifications of Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle
If there is one thing Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle has to offer is its great design features. These features not only make the bike look good, but also enhance the performance of the bike. As a bike cyclist is understandable to look for the best in terms of features, after all it is your hard earned money that is being spent. This part of the review will focus on each of the features of the hitch in detail so that you can understand what you are about to embark on.
- The hitch comes with large 4¼ inch knobby tires for a smooth ride on rough terrains.
- The wheel size is 26”*4 which is perfect for tackling different terrains.
- The frame is made from stainless steel with an overall mountain style that is comfortable in terms of riding position.
- It also comes with 160mm rotary disk brakes on the front and rear wheel for efficient stoppage power.
- This bike is fitted with alloy rims which are drilled and lined and are great for added stability to the bike.
- This bike has a 3 piece crank and a chain guard to protect the overall condition of the chain system.
- With the hitch you get 7 speeds coupled with a stock Shimano derailleur on the rear wheel for easy and smooth gear shifting.
- The hitch is fitted with a water bottle rack
- It also comes with low rise handle bars that make it comfortable for the cyclist in terms of posture.
- It is fitted with LED lighting for night rides.
- It comes with stock plastic pedals.
- The overall weight is approximately 45 pounds
- There is only one color to choose from which is red
- The overall size is 26” which can accommodate persons of between 5’3” and 6’2” in height.
It is a common thing to always look for what we can benefit from the products we invest in. That is not too much to ask for is it? Most products come with great features that are meant to give you a great experience and in the long run to gain some benefits from. The Mongoose Hitch is no different. It has a number of benefits that you are guaranteed to enjoy. This section of the review will focus on what those benefits are so that you can fully understand what to look forward to.
- Affordability: This bike is very affordable as it comes with a great price which is pretty low considering that is a fat bike with great features.
- Durability: The frame of The Hitch is made from stainless steel which is very durable compared to other materials that can easily rust and is prone
- Aesthetics: Though the Hitch comes only in red, this is a color that stands out so you can be sure to look good as you ride on or off road.
- • Easy to assemble: Another thing that you benefit from this bike is the ease at which you can assemble it. Though you have to carry out some twerks and adjustments it shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes even for a newbie.
- Stability: One thing you can be sure of is the stability you will get from this bike. Thanks to the steel frame the bike is stable enough to carry a considerable amount of weight.
- Control: Apart from the stability, the Hitch offers more control to the cyclist. The rotary disk brakes offer enough stoppage power to ensure that at whatever speed you can stop when you want to.
- Exercise: Exercising is crucial and the Hitch ensures that you get enough of it when riding around on it, be it in a hilly terrain or flat area.
- Safe night rides:If you ride out late or you just prefer to ride at night, you can ride easy knowing that you have LED lighting to light your path and keep you visible to other vehicles on your path.
- Easy to use: It is generally easy to use. This bike does not require any special knowledge on how to use it. As long as you know how to balance and change gears you are good to go.
Pros of the Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle
Away from the features and benefits, the Mongoose Hitch has a lot to offer when it comes to the pros and advantages as well. Working on this bike, I am sure the guys at Mongoose had the client’s needs in mind and they really did a good job to deliver such a piece. This section of the review will look at some of the pros and advantages to expect from the Hitch.
- This bike can handle different terrains; from the snow covered ground which it was built for to the sandy beaches and even paved roads with potholes.
- Thanks to the Shimano derailleur you can shift from one gear to another without much hustle. This makes it easy to enjoy the 7-speeds this bike has to offer.
- Efficient braking system that works whenever you want it to especially when there is an emergency that needs you to break suddenly.
- The chain system is exceptional in that you do not have to worry about.It will not fall off or getting stuck. Also thanks to the chain guard, there is no risk of mud getting on the chain and causing rust among other issues.
- Apart from the fact that the tires are big for shock absorbing purposes, they also offer great traction so that the bike does not slip of the path of your choosing.
- The very low price tag does not hurt at all. Most fat bikes are much more expensive so anyone on a budget can be easily discouraged but with this machine it is something to smile about.
- There is room for storage in the form of a water bottle rack so that you can carry your drinking water no matter where you go.
- If you are thinking of customizing the bike to accommodate new features then fear not. You can replace the saddle and pedal among other parts easily.
- The design of the Hitch coupled with the low rise handle bars gives the user a comfortable posture and by extension a comfortable ride.
So far the bike is very impressive. There are plenty of features to drool over and the benefit and pros are even more tempting. However, just like any other machine it has some flaws that take some of the glory from it. Just to be clear, this is a great bike worth investing in. The focus on some of the cons that come with the Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire bike does not negate all that has been discussed above. This is just to give you a thorough look at what you are about to invest your time and money in. This section looks at some of the cons you will encounter.
- On top of the cons is the seat. This is not one of the most comfortable seats in the market as it hard and can lead to numbness if you seat on it for a while.
- If you are one to carry your bike then this is not the best choice as it considerably heavy. The steel frame makes it heavy compared to its aluminum counterparts.
- Maneuvering with this bike can be a challenge especially if you are not used to its weight.
- The brakes on the other hand are not top notch. Yes they offer sufficient stoppage power but they are not the best the market has to offer.
- Unfortunately for those who prefer a variety of colors this is not the bike for you. The Mongoose Hitch comes in only one color.
- The maximum speed reached by this bike is quite low compared to other fat bikes
- The quality of the pedals are quite poor as they are made from plastic and are prone to wear and tear if taken out for rides frequently which is quite the norm with fat bikes.
Missing links to Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle
The Mongoose Hitch has proven to be a force to be reckoned with. It has all the tell-tale signs of being a mover and shaker in the fat bike industry; from the looks to the detailing. Unfortunately that is not the end of the story. This bike also comes with its fair share of flaws much like its other counter parts. The missing links are some of the flaws that I have encountered but I have somehow found a way around it. The next section of this review will look at the missing links and how they can be easily remedied at the cheapest cost.
- The seats are very uncomfortable and trust me you will feel the pain not long after you start riding. To tackle this problem you can purchase a new seat or place cushions conveniently on the seat before going out for a ride.
- The brakes squeak especially when new. To deal with such an issue, make sure you have made the right calibration and if you are not sure what to do call in some re-enforcement, professional or otherwise to help you get it right.
The Final Thoughts on Mongoose Hitch Fat Tire Bicycle
There are numerous fat tire bike brands in the market today but the Mongoose Hitch has reasons to stand out from the rest. When fat bikes are usually out of the reach of many in terms of the price this fat bike comes at an affordable price and anyone can afford it. In general it is a good bike which can be made better with some change here and there without spending a fortune. It is my verdict that this bike has value for your money and more, so try it. Click here to check out this bike.