As a cyclist it is probable you are always on the look out for something new, challenging and affordable at the same time. Mountain biking is a growing form of sport and workout technique. Unfortunately, there is a misleading notion that mountain bikes are on the High end as far as pricing is concerned. However, there is a range of mountain bikes with varying prices depending on the budget you are working with.Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike comes at a very low price with impressive features and specs.
One feature that really stands out is the large frame with the spread or geometry. You can enjoy a comfortable ride in terms of posture. The 29” wheels offer stability as well as traction for slippery terrain and when it comes to maneuverability, nothing beats the 29ers.It is also fitted with front suspension, but they are not as effective as it requires frequent adjustments on different terrains. Fortunately, the tires cover some of the drawbacks. The hydraulic disk brakes supply the stopping power without any major adjustments.
The Overdrive 29er can tackle different terrains with the Shimano shifters and derailleurs that can change through the 24 gears. It generally has a sleek design and a glossy black finish that makes any rider look good. You can use this bike mainly for mountain biking and for commuting if need be. What I love most is that its unisex.
The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike is loaded with other awesome features that this review will discuss further. In general, this is one solid mountain bike chiseled to meet the needs of any avid mountain biker or newbie. You can trust that you will have and enjoy a smooth ride at an affordable price. This review looks at Diamondback Overdrive 29er in six perspectives: features and specs of The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike; Benefits of The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike; pros of the Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike, cons of The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike, cons of the Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike plus the final thoughts.
Features and specs of the Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike
Products are defined by the features they hold and bikes are no different. The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike comes loaded with a notable number of features. We all value features and the manufacturers at Diamondback made sure that there is plenty to go around. They are known to deliver quality and even though some of the parts are from different brands you can trust that the deliver in terms of quality. Some of the major features and specs are listed below
- 6061 butted aluminum alloy frame which is lightweight but at the same time does not forgo strength, durability and sturdiness.
- Front and rear derailleurs which constitute of Shimano Acera dual pull band Shimano Acera 8 speed respectively.
- It is also fitted with 8 speed EasyfireShimano shifters.
- This bike comes with Shimano hydraulic brakes with 180mm front Rotors and 160mm rear Rotor
- It has 44/32/22tSR Suntourcrankset with 3 chain rings and 8 cassettes which offers 24 gears and a smooth speed change
- It features a KMC Z82 chain that offers the great movement and is rust resistant
- It has 26”*2.25” WTB Wolverine Comp tires that provide enough cushioning, traction and maneuverability.
- This bike features a DB SL-7 double walled rims with steel spokes for enhanced stability
- It comes with low rise handle bars, 31.8mm for comfortable posturing and firm grip.
- It also includes a 100mm travel SR Suntour XCT from suspension fork that boosts the comfort of the rider.
- It supports a DB Race quick release saddle and DB Micro adjust seat post that allows the user to easily adjust the height of the saddle as well as easy replacement and customization.
- This bike cokes in one color only; black
- It comes with a bottle cage mount
- There are four frame sizes to choose from: 16”, 18”, 20” and 22” that can accommodate tall cyclists to around 6’3”
- It can handle the weight slightly over 330 pounds
- This bike weighs an average of 32 pounds
Now that we have seen what makes the Diamondback Overdrive 29er, let’s analyze the benefits that this bike boasts of. It is normal for any purchaser to have the what’s-in-it-for-me mentality for it is not just money that will be spent, time as well. A product should not only have great features, but dispel even greater benefits. This is why it is important to evaluate what you can gain from any product, bikes included, before buying. The next section of this review looks at some of the benefits you can expect from this bike.
- It is a multipurpose bike that can serve as a commuter bike, workout tool, racing or trailing.
- It is comfortable to use thanks to its large, spread out frame and low rise handle bars which offers a very comfortable posture
- This bike is very stable due to the fact that it has large wheels and a lightweight frame that offers both strength and agility.
- The price is also affordable considering that most mountain bikes in this range are much more expensive then this beauty is.
- As far as entry-level mountain bikes go this is the best option.
- It is easy to assemble as it takes 30 minutes or less to put together if you follow the instruction manual to the later. Though, tweaking and tuning should be spared for a pro.
- The 29er is an accommodating tool due to its large wheels and frame as well as the different sizes available on purchase.
- It offers a smooth ride as it comes with front suspension, larger tires and quality Drivetrain that cushions the ride and minimizes the effort used.
- Your safety is assured because of the hydraulic disk brakes with superb stopping power.
- It is aesthetically appealing even though the color is limiting, the design is sleek
- It is a versatile piece which means you can easily customize the components if not impressed with some of the components
Pros of Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike
Like the benefits, Diamondback Overdrive 29er is full of pros. As stated before the benefits and now the pros are products of the awesome features. It is not surprising that there are numerous advantages to savor from this bike, if the list of features is anything to go by. Some of the pros include:
- A lightweight frame which is strong and durable. It can be easily carried up the stairs if need be and it makes the bike easy to maneuver.
- The larger wheels offer more traction and acts as shock absorbers on the rough band off road terrains.
- Most of the components are quality Diamondback brands that have proven to last longer than their counterparts
- The hydraulic braking system is impressive and it offers enough braking power despite it being a bit simple.
- It is easy to put together after delivery as it comes with a user manual and you can access assembly tutorials online
- It is a cost effective option because most mountain bikes with such quality can cost as twice as much then this beauty.
- The maintenance level on this bike is minimal at worst. Most of the parts are considered to be the best brands in the bike industry today
- You can easily upgrade this bike just by installing new parts if the existing ones are not up to your expectations.
- The impressive lock out front suspension offers smooth and cushioned rides of rough terrains adding to the large tires.
- The derailleurs coupled with the shifted work together to offer an awesome riding experience in terms of smooth gear shifting and so on.
Cons of Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike
After analyzing the positives it is time to analyze some of the negatives. First, we need to understand that there is no such thing as perfection as far as man made products are concerned. We try, but achieving perfection will take longer and may not even happen. Until then we have to contend with some flaws. Second, the flaws do not necessarily mean broken and throw away. Most of these flaws can be witnessed with other bikes as well. The Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike has its fair share of flaws that this section aims to discuss so that you can make an informed choice before making an order.
- The saddle, much as it is padded, is very uncomfortable. It is hard which means minimizing the time spent on the 29er
- Large tires means more weight. Generally the bike is light at 32 pounds, but most of the weight can be attributed to the tires.
- There are neither kick stand nor fenders. The bike has to be supported on a secondary stationary object when not riding and there is no way to prevent plashes and mud from getting to you.
- The lack of lighting and reflectors is detrimental to your safety especially at night. An inclusion of either of the two or even both would have been great.
- Though the bike has quality DB components, it’s the third party components that carry the flaws as they will need replacements soon.
- The front suspension is faulty as you need to make readjustments every time when you change in terrain
- The tires are sloppy on low pressure. They keep slipping of the rim if the psi is too low
- As far as color goes there is limited options. Intact there is only one choice
Flaws are part of any product. Brands thrive for the best in the products they produce, however, that does not mean that is achievable. As we have seen from the begging of this review, DB is not a new name in the mountain biking world. In fact, it is one of the most trusted brands, but most reviews will tell you that flaws are a common phenomenon. It is safe to say that analyzing the flaws does not mean the product is useless. It is a matter of knowing. As the saying goes knowledge bus power. Consider this as an enhancement to your purchasing power.
Missing links are those flaws that have a cheap and easy solution. This can be performed in the True comfort of your home or at a local bike shop. Some of the missing links to Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike include:
- The breaks make squeaky noises when put to use. The cause is due to inadequate tuning once the bike has been delivered. To counter this fault you can recruit a pro to work on fine tuning it before taking a ride on it.
- The saddle is hard and with time on the bike it gets even harder and uncomfortable. To deal with this you can buy a new saddle or place cushions on the seat before you ride.
Final thoughts on Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike
Diamondback has been in existence for some time and the bikes from its back yard do not disappoint. Diamondback Overdrive 29er Hardtail Mountain Bike is no different. It is an impressive tool that can serve a number of purposes at an affordable price too. While some of the components can be on the lower end in terms of quality, the general built of this bike is impressive. From the Shimano components as well as the quality DB parts, This bike has a lot to offer.
You can enjoy a ride on this bike knowing that it has a comfortable posture and has great cushioning. Is a durable piece of equipment with strength and agility, yet light enough to be easily lifted. The tires offer top of the notch maneuvers as well as cushioning and leg space. This is one of the best entry level mountain bikes in the market. Give it a try. Click here to check out this bike.