Bicycles have earned themselves an indelible name among the favorite and earliest means of modern transportation following the dawn of the industrial revolution took place. From that time onwards, a great many of bike manufacturing companies have secured themselves a place in the world of bicycle manufacturing that is intended and customized for varied purposes and events. Moreover, as the bike technology has continued to develop and the wants and preferences of bikers change in the same proportion over the years, it has become clearly necessary for bike makers to device creative and responsive ways of meeting these fast evolving trends in the tastes and needs of contemporary cyclists.
In the early days, bicycles were originally intended and designed to transport people from one point A to point B. However, as cycling trends are becoming more complex, bicycles are no longer just tools of transporting people across different locations. Modern bikers are also floating demands that are indicating that they should be allowed to use their bikes with a greater level of convenience and style .One of the main areas of convenience that the contemporary bikers of the 21st century want and are demanding is the ability just to be carried on the bikes as well as having the luxury and convenience of carrying the bike with them. This shift and evolution on tastes, demands, and preferences have caused bike manufacturers to get to the drawing board and invent suitable bikes that are easy and convenient to fold and carry with ease.
One of the key names and contributors in the world of bicycle manufacturing that has responded appropriately to these trends is Dahon. Being among the few venerated and cherished names in the bicycle industry, Dahon has made a great and precious contribution to the world of folding bicycles through the invention of its Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike.
That is why it is the purpose of this article to give you a thorough review of this awesome machine from a respected bike maker. This review is going to give you a thorough description and analysis of all the key features of this machine so that you can have a higher platform of comprehension before you make a favorable decision to buy it. By the time you go through this review up to the end, you will be furnished with all the necessary information that will give you clear guidelines for making the right and most beneficial decision that deserves your hard-earned money, time and effort. The key areas that are going to be examined are listed below as follows: the main features of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike; the main advantages and benefits of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike; the main pros of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike; the main cons of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike; the main missing links of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike and; the final verdict on Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike.
The main features of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
As a great product from a great and respected bike manufacturer, the bike is rich in many salient features that are devised to make your experience as a folding bike lover a great and nostalgic moment. These beautiful features are enriched with salient capabilities that are meant to facilitate the benefits of the bike and cause them to find their way down into your cycling experience. These features are examined more deeply in the following paragraphs.
- Bike pedals are Suntour folding and non-slip
- Bike kickstand is made of aluminum
- Bike color: Shadow
- Bike handlebar: 6061-T6 aluminum, Flat bar
- Bike grips: BioLogic Ergo, single density
- Biker front hub: Dahon Mini
- Bike rear hub: single speed, Shimano coaster
- The ideal rider height is around 4′ 8″ to 6′ 4″ tall.
- The maximum weight of riders is fixed at 230 pounds
- Bike speed: it has single speed
- Bike size after folding: 11.7″ x 30″ x 25″
- Bike weight: 24.2 pounds
- Bike folding time is less than 15 seconds
- Bike gear inches: 64
- Bike frame: K series, SuperLite 4130 chromoly with custom-drawn double-butted Sonus tubing, forged lattice hinge, patented ViseGrip technology
- Bike handlepost: Radius, fixed, patented fusion technologies, forged aluminum
- Bike rims: Aluminum, single wall
- Bike chain: KMC Z410
- Bike tires: Dahon Rotolo, 20″ x 1.75″, high-pressure 65 psi
- Crank set is polished by hand .Additionally, it comes with cold-forged 6061-T6 aluminum crank arms.
- Bike brake lever: made of aluminum
The main advantages and benefits of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
This section of our review is focused on the main advantages and benefits you get by using this bike as opposed to any other folding bike in the market. As the section continues to unfold, we shall have an in depth examination of each and every one of these benefits as they are expounded in the following paragraphs below.
Balanced wheel size
This is nine of the most beautiful features of this bike. Every great bike needs to have wheel size that is small enough to allow you fold the bike without issues. On the other hand, the bike wheel need to be big enough so that you are able to have a greater control and stability as you ride. That is exactly what Dahon invested in this folding bike. The machine is fitted with wheels that are measuring 20 inches and hence they are good at facilitating portability, greater speed, easy storage and enhanced acceleration.
The purpose of having a folding bike is essentially to facilitate convenience. This means even the folding process itself should be convenient. This feature is what Dahon invested in this machine. First of all, it only takes 10-12 seconds to fold the bike. Second, the bike is fitted with a magnet system that latches the bike once it has been folded. Third, the folding is done in such a manner that the bike stands on its own without falling.
It is a very light bike
Another advantage of this bike is that it is very light compared to some other folding bikes that weigh up to 19 kg. This folding bike weighs a mere 10.9 kg. This means that you have a very effective and light companion with you as you travel. Another benefit of this lightness is that it gives you a greater ease of riding the bike especially when you are doing uphill rides.
A single speed option for urban commuters
This bike offers great freedom of choice for riders who are not in love with changing gears as they ride. Additionally, the bike does not have fixed gears and hence it gives you the freedom to do coasting without having to peddle. This makes a very great option and prime choice for urban commuters who spend most of their cycling time within the confines and environs of the cities.
On top of all the features listed above, this bike’s excellent design makes it rank among the best mountain bikes in appearance even though it is a simple single speed bike.
An excellent seat
Another benefit of this bike is that it is fitted with an excellent seat. This seat is very adjustable and convenient to ride and it is able to accommodate riders who are endowed with height of up to 6 feet. The seat is also very comfortable compared to many other folding bikes.
The main pros of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
This folding bike is rich in many pros. This section is devoted to the in depth examination of some of the pros of using this bike.
- Maximum safety
One of the greatest pros of this bike is that is has maximized security. The bike is fitted with DoubleLok that enables it to serve as a reminder that ensures the latch is secured properly before you start cycling.
- The bike is a very light machine that cruises easily through all terrains
- It has an excellent and compact design
- It is a very beautiful and esthetically rich bike
- The bike has a very strong balance which greatly contributes towards its safety
- It is light but strong enough to carry heavy bikers
- It is an excellent choice for city riders
- It is very easy and faster to fold the bike and carry it over
- It is very economic on storage space because it fits in very small spaces
- It is a very durable bike that gives you long-term value for your money
- You can ride the bike safely even without disk brakes
The main cons of Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
Up to this level, we have explored the key features and advantages of this great bike and so far the going has been very good. But because this review is objective and designed to help you make an informed decision, we shall also take a dive into some of the missing links and shortcomings of the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike. Keep on reading below in order to come to a better understanding of the flaws of this bike.
- The first thing that many users have expressed concern and dissatisfaction with the bike is that it does not come with fenders
- Another disadvantage of this bike is that it requires some period of time before getting used to the pedal brakes and be able to control the bicycle
- It is fitted with coaster braking system and this feature may be somehow cumbersome for those riders who are not used to them even though some riders still find them very interesting
Every invention that is born of human beings has its own load of errors and shortcomings because its human authors too have their own shortcomings. That is why this bike is also subject to its own share of missing links. This section is therefore dedicated to the exploration of some of the missing links in this bike and the available solutions that can be applied in order for you to continue enjoying the bike without unnecessary distractions.
- The main missing link on this bike is that it is fitted with pedal brakes. This makes it inconveniencing in the initial days of purchasing the bike for users who have not been exposed to coaster braking systems. However, this is more less of a teething problem because with practice, you can get over it and get used to pedal braking
The final verdict on Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
So far, we have taken a winding and long review that has examined every aspect of this folding bike. It is now time for us to finalize the review and get a final verdict on the bike. We are going to base the verdict on every issues that we have covered so that to allow you to make a beneficial decision.
To start us off, this is one of the few folding bikes that have excellent features.
Moreover, the bike is very easy to use by both sexes and by people of all ages. The reason is that it is designed in such a manner that you don’t need to swing your leg over the bike in order to mount or dismount.
In additionally, the bike is fitted with a strong and durable frame that gives you long-term value for your money.
Furthermore, the bike has a strong pedal braking system which leaves you with a greater balance and control over the bike as you ride through the streets.
Lastly, all the few missing shortcomings that the bike has are simple and can be solved with ease. In addition, these missing links are very common in other folding bikes retailing within the same price range.
Having put all the above factors into perspective, it is very fair to declare that Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is a great bike worth your every coin. Click here to check out this bike.